Skip to main content

Mood and Food - Morning Routine

Does anyone else wake up and feel exhausted? Like you ran a midnight marathon...

I generally turn in around 11pm - not ridiculously early; I have shit to do, but I am by no means a night owl any more (being 30 is knackering!)!

I wake up around 7am and normally get up 30 mins later - God bless the snooze button!

So I am getting around 8 hours a night, so why do I feel knackered before I am even in work?

I started to suspect this tiredness, and the resulting foul mood that lasted all day, was nothing to do with the amount of sleep I was getting (quality of sleep is a different subject!) but was rooted elsewhere.

A few months ago I actually sat down and made a record of what I was eating.  What we fuel our bodies with has a huge effect on everything: mood, energy, happiness, stool consistency!

The result: I was completely reversing any gains or progress I made in the gym, and worsening how I felt.  It wasn't awful - the odd KFC, or pizza, but it was devoid of anything nutritious in the morning.  

What really made me want to make a change in my nutrition was noticing I would get in from work, not do anything for myself before my partner got home, then proceed to bicker with her and pick fights.  Nothing major, just stupid things.  Then I would feel guilty because I had been a helmet, and also I had got nothing done, having made someone else money for 8 hours already! 

My initial decision was to reappraise my morning routine.  I am not a morning person.  My missus will attest to this, as I am normally still mostly asleep when she leaves in the morning! 

So I needed to get a lot of nutrition in early in the day...what better than a tasty smoothie.  Plus the natural sugar would be a nice energy boost...

Smoothie Ingredients 

Smoothie Recipe:

Matcha Tea Powder
Chia Seeds
Morrisons Smoothie Mix: Kiwi, Papaya, Pineapple, Mango
Banana
Kale
Half a Lime
Ginger
Celery
Cucumber
Fat Free Yoghurt

That's a lot of stuff, and it ain't cheap, but if I go 3-4 days without this now I start to feel the same grumpiness around 3pm.

So the benefits of this smoothie: enhanced mood, better digestion, I feel more awake for longer, my brain feel more switched on!

Secondly in my morning routine: coffee.  The fuel of life.  

There's a saying: sex is like pizza; even when it's bad it's still good.  This is not the case with coffee.

Initially I would drink a lot of coffee and become moodier and moodier.  I cut it out completely and I can barely stay awake.  

I started to drink the cheap instant crap at work, bought in bulk.  It tasted of chemicals.

I bought a few tins of Azera - a powdered coffee of higher grade - this is a great compromise to the final solution I use now:

Bodum Travel Press - this is a great little cafetiere, easy to keep clean and makes a normal sized cup of coffee

I made a trip to Borough Marker and bought a decent bag of freshly ground beans from Monmouth Coffee.  

This improvement in the grade of coffee I was drinking had a few effects: alertness and awake feelings associated with caffeine without the "come down" or crash.  I don't have a lot of sugar in the coffee, and use skimmed milk (full milk leaves me feeling bloated!).  

If you haven't done it, make the investment: one cup of decent, proper coffee in the morning makes all the difference to your outlook on the day, and it's a nice ceremony in itself.  Plus the smell of the ground coffee is magic! 

I have also taken to drinking lemon water throughout the day - generally I don't like water...tap water certainly has a taste I don't like, but I think it's the general lack of flavour that I don't like.  So lemon helps! 

Aladdin Bottle - BPA Free - Lemon Water

The Aladdin Bottle is great for this - BPA free and no leaks! 

Finally, my morning routine also includes a herbal tea.  Specifically the Tummy Tea from T2 which contains peppermint, liquorice, marigold and fennel.  I have this at home before I leave for work, or before bed.  Again, this is not cheap, about £7 for a box but it lasts a good few weeks and is a nice change from builders tea! 

T2 Tummy Tea

Both I and my partner have seen an upswing in my mood, my alertness and I feel a lot less tired when I come in from work now! 

Small changes have made big improvements and I am looking forward to experimenting more with how food and nutrition can help in the future.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music - An Addictive Exercise In Pissing Into The Wind.

I play in a band called Counties. You won't have heard of us, much to my eternal disappointment but I am working to change that! If you do want to listen to our musical efforts: Bandcamp Right, shameless self-promotion out of the way I wrote this after my bandmate, Lloyd, wrote on his blog Music is something I have done for 15 years now. It's in my blood.  I studied Audio Engineering, I record my own music at home, I invest in equipment where I can (by "invest", I mean "purchase with no intent to ever sell it"!), and I have worked in the music industry for the last 8 years or so. Being in a band is maddening...Playing a show is amazing.  Even to a handful of people.  And you can't do it every night.  That is whats maddening, because you want to.  You want to show the world how you and your brothers can fucking slay given the chance, how you have something to offer the world outside of a 9-5 existence.  But the world doesn't want that.

Yoga. The Best Hardest Thing I Have Done.

About 3 weeks ago I started Yoga.   This was after toying with the idea for...about 7 years! I could never find a class near me, at a time that worked and I must admit, my own masculinity stopped me a lot of the time.  I saw it as girly.  Why do I need Yoga? Men bench press, that's all we need right? No.  There are a lot of types of strength and Yoga is its own category.  I have been lifting weights seriously for around 5 years - not that it shows! However my personal bests (so I can show off a little bit): 60kg EZ Curl  100kg Bench / 80kg Working Weight Body Weight Shoulder Press (Machine) 180kg Deadlift 300kg Leg Press That last one resulted in my nearest brush with passing out while lifting. So I thought I would attend a local Yoga class and breeze through.  Nope.  Not happening.  This is a different kind of strength, mostly in the mind.  Brute-force and a level of stupidity will get you far lifting weights at first, if you can avoid injury.  I ris

Meditation, Mindfulness and Finding The Time To Relax

I can't relax. I don't have the ability.  I was hyperactive as a child, so maybe this is where it comes from. But I can't relax.  I try to put this to good use.  I try to be productive all the time, but the downside of this is I get more stressed out if I am not productive, I feel guilty when I do relax and I end up very frayed and burned out regularly. The first time I felt truly relaxed as an adult was 8 years ago, on my first trip snowboarding in Sauze D'oulx in Italy.  I had had a rough year and I remember sitting down on the mountain one day and feeling at peace.  I was physically drained but I was fired up with adrenaline and I was completely alone on this section of mountain.  It was snowing, it was cold, I had a wet arse, the clouds had closed in so visibility was low.  And I felt safe and happy for the first time in a year. I think this was my introduction to meditation, looking back. I am no expert, but I feel there are two ty