Skip to main content

Yoga. The Best Hardest Thing I Have Done.

About 3 weeks ago I started Yoga.  

This was after toying with the idea for...about 7 years! I could never find a class near me, at a time that worked and I must admit, my own masculinity stopped me a lot of the time.  I saw it as girly.  Why do I need Yoga? Men bench press, that's all we need right?


No.  There are a lot of types of strength and Yoga is its own category.  I have been lifting weights seriously for around 5 years - not that it shows! However my personal bests (so I can show off a little bit):

60kg EZ Curl 
100kg Bench / 80kg Working Weight
Body Weight Shoulder Press (Machine)
180kg Deadlift
300kg Leg Press

That last one resulted in my nearest brush with passing out while lifting.

So I thought I would attend a local Yoga class and breeze through.  Nope.  Not happening.  This is a different kind of strength, mostly in the mind.  Brute-force and a level of stupidity will get you far lifting weights at first, if you can avoid injury.  I risked passing out and being smashed in the face by 300kg of weight so I could crow about it afterwards.  Yoga looks easy from the outside - but some of the most basic positions to a novice are fairly challenging, resulting in puffing, panting and having to pause and reset.

The hardest part to master is the breathing, or more importantly remembering to focus on the breathing, not the strain in parts of your body you didn't know needed to be stretched and released. When lifting weights, you exhale on the contraction, or positive part of the movement (the upwards of the benchpress, for instance) and inhale on the negative of the movement, allowing you to "explode" the movement the next time, resulting in more consistent reps.  I struggle to breath calmly and consistently whilst in yoga positions, and find myself holding my breath or breathing very shallow.

I had 2 reasons to start Yoga; to complement the weight training and increase my range of motion, but equally to research more into mindfulness, meditation and getting in touch with something non-quantifiable.  

I feel calmed a day or two after my class, I feel my mind is more ordered and able to focus better.  I was not expecting this.  

To be honest, I have fallen in love with Yoga.  I love testing my body, and finding out it's limitations.   But I also love how it makes me feel after.  It's hard to describe, but it's a feeling of positivity, of acceptance (by the world and most importantly by myself) and it makes me less stressed about what I have and haven't ticked off my To-Do list!

I will report more as I progress, I have a fantastic Yoga teacher who is very patient and informative, so I hope to make yoga a bigger part of my life over the next few months!

Namaste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meditation, Mindfulness and Finding The Time To Relax

I can't relax. I don't have the ability.  I was hyperactive as a child, so maybe this is where it comes from. But I can't relax.  I try to put this to good use.  I try to be productive all the time, but the downside of this is I get more stressed out if I am not productive, I feel guilty when I do relax and I end up very frayed and burned out regularly. The first time I felt truly relaxed as an adult was 8 years ago, on my first trip snowboarding in Sauze D'oulx in Italy.  I had had a rough year and I remember sitting down on the mountain one day and feeling at peace.  I was physically drained but I was fired up with adrenaline and I was completely alone on this section of mountain.  It was snowing, it was cold, I had a wet arse, the clouds had closed in so visibility was low.  And I felt safe and happy for the first time in a year. I think this was my introduction to meditation, looking back. I am no expert, but I feel there are two ty

Music - An Addictive Exercise In Pissing Into The Wind.

I play in a band called Counties. You won't have heard of us, much to my eternal disappointment but I am working to change that! If you do want to listen to our musical efforts: Bandcamp Right, shameless self-promotion out of the way I wrote this after my bandmate, Lloyd, wrote on his blog Music is something I have done for 15 years now. It's in my blood.  I studied Audio Engineering, I record my own music at home, I invest in equipment where I can (by "invest", I mean "purchase with no intent to ever sell it"!), and I have worked in the music industry for the last 8 years or so. Being in a band is maddening...Playing a show is amazing.  Even to a handful of people.  And you can't do it every night.  That is whats maddening, because you want to.  You want to show the world how you and your brothers can fucking slay given the chance, how you have something to offer the world outside of a 9-5 existence.  But the world doesn't want that.