Skip to main content

Spanish Chorizo & Lentil Soup

I was lucky enough whilst in Amsterdam recently to visit a little restaurant called "Soup En Zo" on Jodenbreestraat - well worth the visit!  I had the above soup, which was fantastic.





Upon returning home I attempted to replicate this soup myself and, according to my other half, it might be the best thing I have ever cooked her, so here goes...

(Serves 2)
Ingredients:
Half an onion
Hot Smoked Paprika
Cumin Seeds
Tomato Pasata 
1x Red Pepper
100g Green Lentils
50g Chopped Chorizo
Vegetable Stock - Roughly half a litre
1x Carrot

1: Heat up olive oil in a saucepan and add in finely chopped onion and   Add cumin seeds and ground pepper and chopped carrot (shop into small 1cm cubes).

2: Add chopped red pepper and lightly fry off the chopped chorizo

3: Add boiling water to vegetable stock (I like the Knorr stock pots) and then add roughly a qtr pint to the onions and peppers.

4: Add paprika and reduce stock down for a few mins.  Chilli flakes can be added at this stage.

5: Add fried chorizo and remainder of vegetable stock, plus tomato pasata, lentils and season with salt and pepper.  Add thyme/oregano to taste and let simmer for around 30 mins or until most of the liquid has reduced down.  It can be "fed" occassionally with some more pasata and paprika to taste!

Serve with crusty bread and top with a sharp cheddar cheese.  

Go easy on the salt, the Chorizo has loads, as will the cheese.  If you use a spiced Chorizo, chilli flakes may take it over the top on heat! 

This recipe can be adapted to veggie/vegan with the removal of the Chorizo and the cheese and still retain a lot of flavour! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga. The Best Hardest Thing I Have Done.

About 3 weeks ago I started Yoga.   This was after toying with the idea for...about 7 years! I could never find a class near me, at a time that worked and I must admit, my own masculinity stopped me a lot of the time.  I saw it as girly.  Why do I need Yoga? Men bench press, that's all we need right? No.  There are a lot of types of strength and Yoga is its own category.  I have been lifting weights seriously for around 5 years - not that it shows! However my personal bests (so I can show off a little bit): 60kg EZ Curl  100kg Bench / 80kg Working Weight Body Weight Shoulder Press (Machine) 180kg Deadlift 300kg Leg Press That last one resulted in my nearest brush with passing out while lifting. So I thought I would attend a local Yoga class and breeze through.  Nope.  Not happening.  This is a different kind of strength, mostly in the mind.  Brute-force and a level of stupidity will get you far lifting weights at first, if you can avoid injury.  I ris

Meditation, Mindfulness and Finding The Time To Relax

I can't relax. I don't have the ability.  I was hyperactive as a child, so maybe this is where it comes from. But I can't relax.  I try to put this to good use.  I try to be productive all the time, but the downside of this is I get more stressed out if I am not productive, I feel guilty when I do relax and I end up very frayed and burned out regularly. The first time I felt truly relaxed as an adult was 8 years ago, on my first trip snowboarding in Sauze D'oulx in Italy.  I had had a rough year and I remember sitting down on the mountain one day and feeling at peace.  I was physically drained but I was fired up with adrenaline and I was completely alone on this section of mountain.  It was snowing, it was cold, I had a wet arse, the clouds had closed in so visibility was low.  And I felt safe and happy for the first time in a year. I think this was my introduction to meditation, looking back. I am no expert, but I feel there are two ty

Music - An Addictive Exercise In Pissing Into The Wind.

I play in a band called Counties. You won't have heard of us, much to my eternal disappointment but I am working to change that! If you do want to listen to our musical efforts: Bandcamp Right, shameless self-promotion out of the way I wrote this after my bandmate, Lloyd, wrote on his blog Music is something I have done for 15 years now. It's in my blood.  I studied Audio Engineering, I record my own music at home, I invest in equipment where I can (by "invest", I mean "purchase with no intent to ever sell it"!), and I have worked in the music industry for the last 8 years or so. Being in a band is maddening...Playing a show is amazing.  Even to a handful of people.  And you can't do it every night.  That is whats maddening, because you want to.  You want to show the world how you and your brothers can fucking slay given the chance, how you have something to offer the world outside of a 9-5 existence.  But the world doesn't want that.