Skip to main content

The Garden Saga

We bought our house in July 2016.  It's a two bedroom Victorian house with a decent sized garden for a house in London.  

I began working on the garden in March this year and have developed a passion for working in the garden! 

So what needed doing? everything!

From the back doors we had standard old decking which had partially rotted through.  Then a step-up patio which looks like it was laid in the 90s - square concrete mock-stone slabs in a god-awful pink.  The lawn we won't mention - that's a whole task in and of itself!


At the rear of the garden someone had helpfully poured a very good concrete footing for a garage - roughly 15' wide by 18' deep.  This was the only redeeming feature of the garden after it's size! 

This is where the garden saga started.  My grand plan was to have a very large patio from the back door that incorporated and replaced the first patio - this would become a lawn and then a matching patio at the rear.

I measured and ordered around £1,000 in Indian sandstone which I had calibrated to 20mm.  Enlisting the priceless help of my old man and my brother, we set about laying the rear patio.  As amateurs I think we've done a pretty good job of it, though it took a lot longer than I was expecting. 



Halfway through I dug out and built a planter with new railway sleepers sourced from Forestrall in Kent - really good quality and great value! This was filled with mixed hardcore for drainage (broken bricks and a few bags of plum slate I removed from the front garden).  I ordered a ton of topsoil from The London Topsoil Company of which 75% filled this planter.



We got a great deal on plants through a local garden centre and picked out species that will do well in our oven of a garden - it's South West facing so gets sun all day long! 



It was at this stage my fiancé decided she no longer wanted the patio to go right to the back door, feeling it was too much stone and would feel "cold" and a little 2 dimensional, given how much of the same stone is being used elsewhere in the garden.  

I was very lucky in that the family behind my brother's house in North Essex had some new decking laid and a quick chat with the team doing this led to a very good deal on hardwood Balau decking to replace the old stuff outside the back door.  It's about half the width of standard decking and is textured on one side and completely flat the other - this is the side I prefer, as I am naturally drawn to more minimalist design! 



In pulling the old decking up, the rot was more extensive that I at first imagined - the 4 beams used as supports had been covered with a thick rubber membrane, trapping moisture in the wood and causing it to turn into a sponge! 



These beams were replaced with pressure-treated beams 4x2 from Wickes.  In the process, two additional beams were added along the wall and fence to allow us to lay the new Balau boards lengthways on the supports added in, creating a frame similar to the floor in a loft space.

Laying the boards lengthways will hopefully give more depth to the decking and minimise open end-grain to offset any potential rot in the future (though this hardwood I think will withstand a lot of weathering!) 




This is where I ran into a problem.  I bought the new decking at a very good price, and felt happy I was laying quality wood at such a bargain.  The added expense of the new beams was unfortunate but I would rather know that everything is stable and secure underneath.  



However, my 18v Black & Decker drill just wasn't man enough for the job, and driving 4" screws into the wood for the frame caused the motor to burn-out early on.  Cue a trip to the local branch of Screwfix and I am now the proud owner of a 18v Makita drill with 2x 3aH batteries and an amazing amount of torque - where the B&D was struggling to drive the screws past half-way, this throws them into the wood and buries them by about a quarter inch!




I am a huge fan of the "Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project" Podcast.  Early on in it's broadcast, Adam discussed his approach to buying tools - if you're going to use a tool once a year, buy the cheap version but if a tool is going to get constant use, go for a decent model as the cheaper one is false economy in this respect.  For anyone interested in building, making, DIY, tools and workshops I highly recommend this podcast, Adam is an amazingly interesting man to listen to on these subjects!


The final job this year will be laying the first patio - cutting a step into its level to allow easier access (it's currently a little high!) and building a second planter which should, in time, allow growth of tall plants to screen off the sheds (old outhouse buildings) and cutting in a second bed on the left to house box-hedging and a small Cherry-tree that's being donated to us! 

All-in-all I am overjoyed with the progress made so far, considering all work has been confined to weekends and evenings! 

I am sure I will post on this subject again in the future as more progress is made! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music - An Addictive Exercise In Pissing Into The Wind.

I play in a band called Counties. You won't have heard of us, much to my eternal disappointment but I am working to change that! If you do want to listen to our musical efforts: Bandcamp Right, shameless self-promotion out of the way I wrote this after my bandmate, Lloyd, wrote on his blog Music is something I have done for 15 years now. It's in my blood.  I studied Audio Engineering, I record my own music at home, I invest in equipment where I can (by "invest", I mean "purchase with no intent to ever sell it"!), and I have worked in the music industry for the last 8 years or so. Being in a band is maddening...Playing a show is amazing.  Even to a handful of people.  And you can't do it every night.  That is whats maddening, because you want to.  You want to show the world how you and your brothers can fucking slay given the chance, how you have something to offer the world outside of a 9-5 existence.  But the world doesn't want that.

Yoga. The Best Hardest Thing I Have Done.

About 3 weeks ago I started Yoga.   This was after toying with the idea for...about 7 years! I could never find a class near me, at a time that worked and I must admit, my own masculinity stopped me a lot of the time.  I saw it as girly.  Why do I need Yoga? Men bench press, that's all we need right? No.  There are a lot of types of strength and Yoga is its own category.  I have been lifting weights seriously for around 5 years - not that it shows! However my personal bests (so I can show off a little bit): 60kg EZ Curl  100kg Bench / 80kg Working Weight Body Weight Shoulder Press (Machine) 180kg Deadlift 300kg Leg Press That last one resulted in my nearest brush with passing out while lifting. So I thought I would attend a local Yoga class and breeze through.  Nope.  Not happening.  This is a different kind of strength, mostly in the mind.  Brute-force and a level of stupidity will get you far lifting weights at first, if you can avoid injury.  I ris

Meditation, Mindfulness and Finding The Time To Relax

I can't relax. I don't have the ability.  I was hyperactive as a child, so maybe this is where it comes from. But I can't relax.  I try to put this to good use.  I try to be productive all the time, but the downside of this is I get more stressed out if I am not productive, I feel guilty when I do relax and I end up very frayed and burned out regularly. The first time I felt truly relaxed as an adult was 8 years ago, on my first trip snowboarding in Sauze D'oulx in Italy.  I had had a rough year and I remember sitting down on the mountain one day and feeling at peace.  I was physically drained but I was fired up with adrenaline and I was completely alone on this section of mountain.  It was snowing, it was cold, I had a wet arse, the clouds had closed in so visibility was low.  And I felt safe and happy for the first time in a year. I think this was my introduction to meditation, looking back. I am no expert, but I feel there are two ty